Saturday, March 31, 2007

Order of the Rabbit

A bunch of damn kids for this?I heard today that the original title of Hitler's Mein Kampf was, "4 & 1/2 Year Struggle Against Lies, Stupidity and Cowardice." I still don't know for sure if this is true, but I wouldn't doubt it. I'm not a Hitler fan or foe to be quite honest, and I'm curious to read the book. I mean, the guy was fucked up but it is interesting and somewhat admirable how much influence he had.
Anyway, if you're still reading after that statement, I learned something today from George Duncan's Lesser-Known Facts of World War II.

Every year on Hitler's mommy's birthday, he would give an award called "The Mothers Cross" to all German women with a lot of kids.

Four fruits of the womb was enough to receive a Cross of Iron.
Six sucklings got her a Silver Cross.
Eight episiotomies earned her a Gold Cross.
7 & 1/2 years of being pregnant was worthy of a Cross of Gold and Diamonds. Plus, Hitler himself would act as honorary godfather.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

3 comments:

Eric Spitznagel said...

I can't really agree that Hitler did or said or wrote anything that was in any way admirable. I mean, it's pretty easy to convince people to do horrible things if they're sad and desperate enough, and you find a way to push their buttons and exploit their fears. Charles Manson proved that. As did our own president.

The fun fact about the Mothers Cross is downright creepy. Shouldn't Hitler's own mother have received one of those awards, if only because she had to raise his sorry ass and endure an 18 Year Struggle Against Lies, Stupidity and Cowardice? I'm just saying...

Anonymous said...

As I recall, Hitler only wrote a portion of Mein Kampf, it so disoriented that someone had to fix it and end it. I don't remember who.

He pulled the over the eyes of the world and almost got away with it.

Donna Piranha said...

It's the fact that he almost got away with it that intrigues me the most. I'm also interested in people with super-egos, hence my selection of compadres.

I hear what you're saying Eric. I have to wonder what his mother is like though. What kind of upbringing produces a psychopath like that? And what about his father?