Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Exported Files and Gemstones

Soon to be THE birthstone, given to all children at birth to celebrate new life.Today I learned a few things at work, that amazingly enough, I didn't know already. What a bragger eh? But it's true. I'm actually learning new things at work. It seems like its been a long time.

We're getting ready to do our first "e-blast" and I needed to get our e-mail list from our address book to our new "self service direct marketing" peeps. So I exported our list to my hard drive, and then imported it into their whatever you call it. The file I used was a .csv file, but I didn't really care. It could have been .monkey for all it mattered to me. But when I read the formats needed for a successful transfer blah blah blah, I got nervous because I didn't understand what they were talking about. Delimit what? Comma how? Then somehow, in a freaky flash not unlike that migraine I got yesterday, I saw it. I got it. I can't explain it now, but like the lingering scent of salmon when we attempt to cook it at home, here is what remains in my brain.

CSV stands for Comma Separated Value.

That's it. I know, boring and stupid.
I don't completely understand why it's important to separate comma's or whatever. I think it has something to do with getting the right field information transferred into the correct corresponding field or something, but I don't really care. I was just excited that I figured the shit out and it worked.

I also learned some stuff about one of our new stones, Tanzanite.

It used to be called "Zoisite." Tiffany's fell in love with it and wanted to use it in their breakfast, I mean jewelry, but they thought the name sounded too much like "suicide." Since suicide doesn't really sell, at least not at places like Tiffany's, they decided they would re-name it after the East African state where it was discovered, Tanzania. Ironically enough, legends say that Tanzanite relieves depression.

I'm attracted to this stone because we have a lot in common. We were both discovered in the same year, we both get better with heat treatment, and we're both amazingly beautiful. Plus, as of 2002, it's my birthstone. Thankfully. There's only so much Turquoise a girl can wear.
And I love that according to another legend, it's been said to "cause an integration of etheric desires and physical realities."
Just like me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the graphic is a sample of the stone, it's beautiful. Hint hint.. your birth stone and mine are the same and could always use more earrings, necklace.. ring (wait that should be from a male or bought by myself)...

Donna Piranha said...

It's not a good stone for rings because it's not very durable. I'll get you some earrings, as long as you don't mind the "man-made" version, aka CZ. The real stone is very very expensive. Not that you're not worth it.

Donna Piranha said...

If you are a gemstone dealer and you're here to post a comment with a link to your site, get the fuck out of here.