Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Speedy-Cut

Giant eraser stuffToday I learned how to make my own letterbox stamp.

All the how-to sites I looked at said to take an eraser and carve it with an Exacto knife. So I went down to the art supply shop to get the right kind of eraser, but they didn't have what I was looking for. Instead, they had something called a Speedy-Cut carving block, which is like a giant 6 x 11 inch eraser.
I had to think of something I wanted my very own, personalized stamp to be, so I went looking through my Modern Drunkard magazine and found it. Then, using a soft pencil, I put a piece of paper over it and traced it a few different times. After I got a good one, I cut it out and laid it pencil side down on the giant eraser stuff, and rubbed the back with the eraser from my pencil. It transfered like magic. After hunting for nearly 20 minutes for our Exacto knife set, I found it and started the scary process of carving it out. I can't explain with words how I did it, but I did it. It's not perfect, but here it is.

Hand carved by Donna Piranha herself!
And here's my very own, personal letterbox stamp.
Pretty damn cool if I say so myself. It's a little fucked up, but it was my first try. It was totally fun to do, so I think I'll make a few more since the Speedy-Cut stuff is big enough to make a dozen or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I tried making one I'd have blood everywhere and no design.. would you make me one.. :-)

Donna Piranha said...

At least you know your limits. I'll make one for you.