Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Real Jethro Tull

Farmer and FlautistWhen I was doing some reading about dry farming yesterday, I saw the name Jethro Tull somewhere in the mix, which prompted me to take another look today.

The original Jethro was a farmer in the early 18th century. Not being satisfied with his crop yields due to the haphazard seed planting methods employed by his workmen, Tull decided to make a machine that would do it better. And he did. Inspired by the workings of an organ, (the musical kind you pervs) he rigged up a device he called a "seed drill," that could dig the holes, plant the seeds, and cover them up, three rows at a time. Not only did he waste less seeds this way, he also had less weeding to do since the seeds weren't cast about and growing everywhere. Like me, he must have hated weeding because he also refused to fertilize his crops with manure, figuring that horse shit would contain weed seeds.
Like a lot of inventors before their time, he took a lot of crap for his ideas. It took about a hundred years before the world caught on, and a lot of his seemingly neurotic farming notions can be seen today.

The folk (or whatever the hell you'd call that music) band Jethro Tull got their name from a booking agent, who was also a history buff. Back when they were just starting out, they must have sucked ass because they would often change their name just to get repeat gigs. When they actually got a call-back using the old farmers name, they decided to keep it.

Coincedentally, last night we caught something on TV, thanks to the cable we've yet to shut off, called, "The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus," which had JT as the opening song.
Luckily I missed that part. The seed drill I understand. Mick Jagger I understand. The music of Jethro Tull, I just don't get.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blashpemy. Tull is Progressive Rock.

tullist said...

People that don't "get" Jethro Tull usually lack the patience and undeniable persistance that are required to perceive their, largely Ian Anderson's, art requires. Definitely not background music, party music, or bar or Super Bowl music. What do you call it indeed. It is in fact, 40 yrs on, TULL>

Unknown said...

yeah, how many rock bands have a lead FLUTE player?

And besides, your hippy clown sounds an awful lot like Aqualung . . .

Donna Piranha said...

I don't want to listen to anything that requires patience and persistence. Especially undeniable persistence. I'll save that for when it counts.

Donna Piranha said...

Lead flute player. There's only one kind of flute I'll be persistant with, and it doesn't require patience.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, that's not what the Colonel would say. . .


No comment on the Aqualung/hippy clown thing?

Donna Piranha said...

I don't know what Aqualung is, so like the blonde that you think I am, it flew over my head.

And what would the Colonel say?

Anonymous said...

I recommend you ask the Colonel directly.

And then have him show you the lyrics to Aqualung.

Anonymous said...

I must say that Donna does not play the flute well at all.

But when it comes to playing the Bonaphone she is truly a virtuoso.