Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Magic of a Bar Napkin

Brilliant! Ahhhh. I got my hair done today, just the way I like it. I completely love sitting there in that cute little French studio, yakking with Barbara while she does her magic for two glorious hours. If it weren't so expensive, I'd probably go once a week. It's extremely therapuetic for me to spend time with a woman I admire, to be away from work and kids, and to get that spoiled brat fussing-over I need and love.
Today while sitting under the dryer, she gave me some reading material she knew I'd find interesting.

"Here. It's a men's magazine, but it's very interesting. Especially the ads."

And how! It was more interesting than those fucking boring glam mags that say the same shit in different colors every month. I don't care what the best lipstick color is for women with yellow undertones. I don't care what movie star B wore to fabulous party number 8. And I already know how to give a mind blowing blow-job, thank you very much. "One Cosmo a year" is my motto. And Barbara was right. The ads were interesting. A little too many men with purses maybe, but beautiful men no less.
Anyway, it was interesting to read a magazine written for the metro male. I learned why pointy shoes are better than snub nose shoes (they make your feet look bigger, thereby making your legs look longer, making other things appear larger), and the best way to take care of those shoes. I now know that you could rotate a light blue, a white, and a blue and white striped shirt for two weeks without anyone noticing. And I learned some interesting exercises that can make you run, jump and hit harder than ever. But what I really found the most interesting when I came home and looked up Esquire on the net was something about a writing project they did.

Esquire magazine mailed a napkin to 250 writers to write a story or something on. They got about 100 back, and you can read most of them, still in napkin form, right on their website.

The Esquire Magazine Napkin Fiction Project

I haven't read them all so I don't have a favorite yet, but I'm going to go find one right now.

2 comments:

10things said...

Big feet make your legs look longer?! Fifteen years of women's fashion magazines and not one has let me in on this? WTF.

Donna Piranha said...

It might only work for men.