Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Letterboxing

A good example of a hidden letterboxCall me a dork, geek, loser, lame-o, whatever you want. But today I learned something so cute that I'm actually excited about it. When Rebecca stumbled across it at the office and read it to me, I couldn't wait to come home and find out more. Unfortunately though, I don't have a lot of time to write about it tonight.

Letterboxing is sort of a treasure hunt, where people hide weatherproof boxes someplace, and leave clues, mainly on internet sites, as to where they can be found. Inside the box is a log book and a stamp. Finders carry their own log book and their own personal, hand carved stamp. The finder will take the stamp from the letterbox and stamp their log book with the date. Then they put their stamp into the logbook inside the letterbox, again with the date. Sometimes their will be a smaller box in the letterbox called a hitchhiker. If you find one, you get to take it with you and put it in the next letterbox you find. Some peoople have what's called a personal letterbox, which they carry around with them, that can be opened by anyone who knows the password. There are also parasites, which are placed unknowingly into someones personal letterbox, which of course have to be discreetly placed into another box.

There's a lot more, but since I've got a lot of shit to do right now, here's a link if you want more information. Ya big geek. Letterboxing.info

It's really pointless, but it sounds fun. I've ALWAYS loved treasure hunts!
I was looking around at some sites where you can find some clues and stuff, and I found several hidden here in town. I think I'll carve a stamp tomorrow and then start hunting. Maybe I'll even make my own letterbox and hide it somewhere special. Ohh, and maybe I'll leave clues here in my postings.
Maybe I'll just make my own version of the letterbox game. What a dork eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found no clues for anything in town and that has to be one of the most unintuitive websites ever. Throw me a bone??

Marcelo José Blanco said...

you might get some ideas from here as well:

http://www.geocaching.com/

Donna Piranha said...

I'm glad you found more info on your own James. And I'm glad you're going to research it with me too. Now go make yourself a stamp.

Donna Piranha said...

I like your new picture Mars. That GPS stuff sounds totally fun! Have you ever done it?

Marcelo José Blanco said...

nope, never, but there's a geocache 1.8 miles from here in a little park I've been wanting to walk around... so we'll see.

gabba gabba-hey.

Donna Piranha said...

Please do it Mars, and tell me all about it.