Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Death Domain

I've been looking around at my site stats the last few days (ok, I check them every day. several times.) and I've been noticing two things that are bringing me a lot of traffic.
My Phallic Phriday posting somehow got linked on a site called Penis Size Links. Penis size links? It's been surprising to see how many referrals come from them, and funny that most of them are in France.
Another hot one is from my Anti MADD Magazine posting. Why are so many people searching for Anti MADD? I had to know so I did a little searching myself. Today it appears that I've learned some pretty useless medical trivia.

Besides being a Mothers Against Drunk Drivers hater, anti MADD can refer to an antibody for something called a Mitogen-Activated Death Domain protein. I don't exactly know what the hell that means because all the medical terminology I could find meant nothing to my brilliant yet unaccustomed brain, but I was intrigued by the DD part and looked further into that. A Death Domain is something in every cell of our bodies that regulates apoptosis, which is the natural process of programmed cell death. Apoptosis is important in several ways, one being that if at the right time during our fetal development, the cells between our fingers didn't die off, we'd look a little something like this picture here. I think about 1 in 50 people are born with Syndactyly, which is webbed feet. Stupid women who smoke up to 10 cigarettes a day during pregnancy are 27% more likely to have a baby with abnormal fingers and toes.

Ashton Kutcher has webbed feet.

And I don't mind at all.


No comments: