Saturday, January 27, 2007

Learning With Bon Scott

Around 2 am, under the neon sign of the Black Cat, in the pouring rain. This is where I learned today.
Jeff, JB, Bon. These are a few of the names the High Voltage singer is known as, and who I learned from today.

After I burnt his finger with a gauche passing manuever, longtime pal JB taught me a little trick from his New York days that I'd never heard of. It's a special finger-rolling move he calls, "The roach handshake". Enough said.

A few minutes later I'm being serenaded by this same "Rock and Roll Singer", standing in the doorway of the perpetually freezing lesbian bar. (I think I lost 6 pounds last night just burning calories to keep warm. According to the ass-kicking woman bartender whom I had earlier seen throw a grown man out the front door, the owners won't let her turn the heater on. WTF?)
In complete contrast to the AC/DC songs he was just ripping out with freak-like, actual Bon Scott sounding (and looking) accuracy, Jeff is now singing songs from various musicals he loves. Surprisingly, or not so, I'm unfamiliar with the likes of Jesus Christ Super Star (his favorite), so while he's standing there singing, "Once upon a looking-for-Donna-time, there was a sixteen year old virgin, oh Donna, oh oh Donna, oh oh oh, looking for my Donna", I'm thinking he's making it up as goes. How nice. I'm thinking Jeff wrote a song about me, but a sixteen year old virgin? I had to ask, to which he replied, "Haven't you seen Hair? It's from the movie. It's called Donna Hashish."
So now I know:

There's a song in the musical Hair called Donna Hashish. Is that NOT cool? How is it possible that I've never heard this before?

If you're interested, click here for the rest of the lyrics.

My Colonel and I are going to go watch Hair right now. Wish me luck.

No comments: