Sunday, January 21, 2007

Tuica- The Romanian Moonshine

Living in the wine country, I've often wondered if the beloved fermented libation could be made using fruit other than the common, little old grape. I learned back in July that in Southern states like Mississippi, a wine is made with Mayhaw berries, and that's about all I've ever heard. But today, as you can see in the comments on this last Friday's posting, my Romanian reader Madmax wrote about something called Ţuică. I'm always interested in new things, particularly new beverages, so today I did a little Googling and learned about this traditional alcoholic drink.

If you're having dinner or any other meal in Romania, chances are you'll be offered a shot of Ţuică before you eat. Made from plums, the distillation process is somewhat complicated and requires a lot of patience and skill. Most of this brandy-like drink made is moonshine, but the government tends to look the other way and nobody gets into trouble for making it. Like wine it can be fermented in oak barrels from 6 months up to 10 years, but it can also be enjoyed immediately after distilling.

I really want to buy some so I can try it, but I can't read Romanian. A similar drink with a higher alcohol content called Palinka is popular in Transylvania. I wonder if my vampyre friends have any.

10 comments:

madmax said...

haha! guess what, I'm from Transylvania too, more exactly from Cluj-Napoca, the heart of Ardeal. (also known as Transylvania) If you need help with romanian translation I'd be happy to help. (madmax_noway on yahoo messenger) There are many articles on Wikipedia in english about romanian stuff, though, but don't hesitate if you need help.

Anonymous said...

You acquire it.. I'll drink it with you..

Anonymous said...

booze? where?

Donna Piranha said...

But of course James. Looks like we'll have company.

Anonymous said...

Just found this blog... I smuggled back a few liters of the stuff from my trip to Romania last spring. If you ever get to the east coast, we'll do some shots.

Anonymous said...

I just got some myself and it is very interesting. Drink it cautiously :')

Anonymous said...

i just brought some back yesterday from my vacation in Romania. Good tasting things.

Jirvin said...

I agree with TJ, drink it cautiously. A buddy of mine is from Romania and brought me some back. His uncle made it from crab apples and it's unbelievably good, but it will mess you up quicker than anything I've every tried here in the States.

Anonymous said...

Gruss von deinem D. :)

Unknown said...

My Romanian in-law always have tuica on hand. If you can't acquire any of the real stuff, try Slivovitz. It's essentially the Serbian equivalent of Tuica. Living in California, I've seen this product sold in Trader Joe's.

Noroc! (Romanian for cheers!)