Tuesday, January 02, 2007

National Day of Mourning


I just went down to the post office to get the mail, where I learned the post office is closed today to observe the national day of mourning for our former president, Gerald Ford. The banks are closed too.

Even the nice little old lady trying to bust in the doors at the post office thought this was ridiculous. "Wasn't his memorial yesterday for Christ's sake?"

I'm more in mourning for the closed bank and the fact that I won't be getting my Netflix today, although I heard from someone, I think my boss maybe, that Ford wrote a book to be released posthumously which makes me like him and feel a little sad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that he had a little slam for the current president and the war that was to be announced after his death.

Anonymous said...

FYI, from the flag code, 36 USC 10:

The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives…

Donna Piranha said...

So the Vice Prez gets the same respect as a retired judge. Nice.
This info also made me realize that some day we'll all be taking a day off for the big W. I can't wait for that day.