Friday, January 19, 2007

Name That Overdose


Billie Holiday- Heroine
Marilyn Monroe- Sleeping Pills
Christina Onassis- Diet Pills
John Entwhistle- Cocaine
Bon Scott- Alcohol
Jennifer Strange- Water

I had no idea it was possible to die from too much water, except of course when it fills your lungs. I know I'm a week behind on this, but today when Rebecca told me the story of Hold Your Wee for Wii, I was shocked and amazed. So today I learned:

If you drink a lot of water in a short amount of time, you can die.
One of the ways this happens is that too much water too quickly can mess up the balance of electrolytes in your body fluids, which can cause brain, heart and other cells in your body to stop working. When the sodium levels change dramatically, it can mess up cell osmosis, and low magnesium levels due to dilution can cause heart attacks.

From what I understand, under normal circumstances you should drink half your body weight in ounces everyday, and not all at once.

I also learned today that Wii is pretty fucking cool. Now I want one and I don't even like video games.

All right, that's it for today. I've got a column to write.

I miss you dad. I can't believe it's been 12 years already. : (

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said Column!

Donna Piranha said...

I'll do more than say it.

Anonymous said...

Will you two get a room...

Donna Piranha said...

Great idea. What are you doing up at 1 AM Mr. Berry?

Anonymous said...

Donna...It's Mel again from Growing Out My Bangs. Had to stop by and tell you again how much I'm loving your lessons:) And now for a few questions:
1. Are you in SF? If so, we must have drinks! Also, I'd love for you to come to my show in April or May. I'll give you the scoop as soon as all the details are hashed out.
2. Is this James Berry you refer to a firefighter in Albany near Berkeley? Do tell!

madmax said...

How's it goin Donna?

"From what I understand, under normal circumstances you should drink half your body weight in ounces everyday, and not all at once."

What if I drink half my weight in litters? Do I die? :))

Donna Piranha said...

Hey Mel, you crazy animal! Thank you so much. I've been enjoying your site very much too. I'm going to link over so my weirdo fans can enjoy it too. So....
1. Yes, we must have drinks! I'm in the north bay but I'm sure there are plenty of places we could meet up. You should come up here and do some whine tasting. Any time!
2. Shit, when, where and what did I say about James? He's a friend of mine and one of your fans. I found you on his site. He'll probably read this later.
As a rule, I avoid firefighters at all costs, so no, he's not. Sorry.

Donna Piranha said...

Madmax! How've you been?

I'd say it's probable that you will die. I just learned that one litre is approx. 34 ounces.
Stick with beer or vodka or whatever the Romanian drink of choice is.

Cheers!

madmax said...

Try Ţuică . I've never drank or smoke though, and I'm not tempted. (the link doesn't work, try searching "Ţuică wikipedia" on google if you're interested)

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby! Yes, I figured out that it was the wrong James Berry but your James has posted comments on my site, which is so cool. I so get what you mean about the firefighters...I'm married to one:) OK...so drinks for sure. I drop my kids off to school in Kentfield every morning. Can you say mimosas?

Donna Piranha said...

Mimosas!

Alas, I have a day job, but surely we can work out a trouble-filled evening in the near future eh? Or should I take a day off? After all, Donna Naughty Piranha is my name.

Anonymous said...

Time and place, baby...and I'm there! :)

Anonymous said...

I can say bellinis

Donna Piranha said...

Mel: I'll send you an e-mail so we don't attract a crowd. That'll probably happen anyway, but...

Lala: What the hell have you been drinking? I want some. What is bellinis? Would you like to join Mel and I in your neck of the woods some night this week?

Anonymous said...

bellinis...have you not had them before? peach nectar and champagne or sparkling wine. it's what's for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

Sure.. I hook you 2 up and I don't get an invite..?? And you don't know what a Bellini is??

Anonymous said...

I'd love that, Diva! I also used to bartend so name your drink, dahlink!! Can't wait to hang out:)

Donna Piranha said...

Wow, these comments are getting ricockulous.

Nope, never had a Bellini. I think it's high time I did though!

Mel- I sent you an e-mail so go read it right now!

JMB- Sorry darling, would you care to join us? Still working out the details.
(I'd be cool and say "the deets" like in the Urban Dictionary, but that would be the name of an ex ex ex boyfriend so it's old fashion "details" for me.)

Anonymous said...

No.. I don't want to crash your girl party.. I'd much rather bitch about not being invited.. :-)

J