Monday, April 30, 2007

Overstanding Jah

One love There's something physically creepy that happens to your body when you hear your 16 year old son say, "Mom, I met a girl." Something like cold shivery nausea, starting in your throat, kicking and screaming it's way through your stomach, then quickly making it's way to your asshole. This happened to me about a week ago.
This afternoon, the same, once innocent and beautiful son of mine asked for some help putting on a Rasta friendship bracelet this girl gave him. While I was trying to tie it, he asked me if I knew what the colors represented. I said something like the green probably stands for pot, which he better not be fucking smoking. Not that I'm against marijuana, I just would prefer that his brain stop growing before he fucks with it, which I've explained to him many, many times.
Then I asked him who this chick was that gave it to him. Of course it was some name that I can't pronounce, spell or remember, and she's "really cool." Eeeek.
So then I considered saying that red stands for the blood from abortion, or the bloody pulp that will be the remains of his body if he even thinks about having un-safe sex, but I found a nicer way to put it. I'll spare the details. Anyway, when I finally shut up, he told me what the colors meant.

Red symbolizes the blood of the people, yellow stands for gold, and green stands for the land.

After our talk, I realized that I don't know much about Rastafarians, so I spent some time tonight reading about the religion. I learned a lot about it, but I'm really tired and I've got new, yummy sheets on my bed.
Here's a pretty informative site if you're interested in reading more about the concept of oneness. It's totally "irie."

Rastafarianism

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am writing this great research paper on preventing teen pregnancy, want me to send it to you? :-)You know the one you helped contribute to?

Anonymous said...

One of the top silly religions.
Read Caribbean by Michner.

Anonymous said...

Remembering things about teenage pregnancy and coming home to things .... won't comment.. just sits back .. shaking head..

Anonymous said...

Just for clarification: your contribution to my research was in filling out my questionaire.

Now, where is colonel's questinaire?

Donna Piranha said...

I'm glad you cleared that up, lest anyone think I was 14 when I started having kids. Oh wait, they already do think that. For the record folks, I was 2 months shy of 21. I could buy diapers but not booze. I always thought there was something wrong with that.

And Colonel, I wouldn't base my Rasta opinions soley on a work of fiction.