Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Living on Dyer Island

Better than bird shit?I had another fun day painting, playing cards, and making mud pies with the nieces, nephew and my 4 year old today. I actually missed them when they went to bed, which is totally weird since bedtime is usually the best part of the day for me. So later when my sister started watching some lame-ass tattoo show on TV, I started reading the first thing I could find; a National Geographic for kids. For the most part, the magazine was surprisingly lame, but I did learn something kinda interesting from it.

There are penguins in South Africa (penguins in South Africa?) who used to make their homes out of hardened guano (bird shit) before people started taking it and selling it for fertilizer. When they started dying off due to lack of shelter, conservationists started bringing in fiberglass igloos for them to live in, just like the kind dogs use for napping. And it worked. Within a week of bringing them in, the birds, formerly known as Jackass penguins, were calling them home.

These little guys are now called African penguins, and the people selling their shit are called Jackass humans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you remember you and your sister getting National Geographic for kids when you were small? I love that magazine and need to get the adult version for me again. By the way.. call me when you get home. I left a message for you at your office Friday when you were at lunch and you (SNIFF SNIFF) didn't call me back.. LOL

Donna Piranha said...

It used to be a good magazine. I can't see how an article about someones giant collection of stuffed animals is in any way educational or interesting.
I just thought there were more ricockulous ads in it than interesting information.

Donna Piranha said...

And I never got that message, sorry.