Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Grandest Event in the History of the Colored Race

Today is the official first day of our fantastic local film festival where I o-so happily volunteer, and since there's a party before and after my somewhat prestigious VIP Team meeting tonight, I decided I'd better get this learning shit out of the way early.

I wish I had something funny and interesting to say, but all I can think about is that I don't have any cute shoes to wear tonight, and that I don't have any money. I did learn something today though.

Before Abe Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, he signed the Emancipation Act, which freed about 3,000 slaves in Washington DC nine months early. Every year on April 16th, an official public holiday gives Washingtonians a day off, soooo...
taxes aren't due until April 17th this year.

After spending way more than my lunch hour today reading all about slavery and emancipation, I'm consumed with the concept of freedom and being free. While I realize that slavery and freedom are serious issues and shouldn't be made fun of, I'm already an admitted idiot so I've made a list of things that I need my own Emancipation Act for.

1- Ignorance. My own and all that surrounds me.
2- Negative thoughts. Especially my own.
3- Love of food.
4- Either my dependency on money or the desire to have way too much of it.
5- Insecurity.

No comments: