Monday, February 12, 2007

The Gift of Nothing

Is nothing really better than something?
I've been sitting here for the last hour wondering what the hell I learned today. I wanted to write about Marc Jacobs and his ricockulous, murderer/dead woman advertising theme, but I actually couldn't find a good image to use as an example except on his irritating, high-maintenance website. If you have the patience, go try to find the ads yourself. Then I saw some photos by Steven Klein for Dolce & Gabbana that made me want to be a fashion photographer, and I wanted to learn more about him. I got over that pretty fast when again, I couldn't find anywhere on the net his image of Stefano Gabbana that I wanted. Kicking back on his own bed wearing nothing but his own brand of underwear and two jewel encrusted crucifixs, he almost looks fuckable in those gold chain, 3 inch spiky heels. If you were a man maybe. I don't know. This picture confuses my sexual reflexes.
I also love his shot of a bald guy lying on coastal, bird-shit covered rocks looking up a woman's skirt as she jabs his chest with a pair of ugly, wicked witch stillettos.
Do you see what looking through a W magazine can do to your mind?
Anyway, enough of that. I finally came to the conclusion that this was a nothing-learned day. But, when I began searching for an image to accentuate my dull day, I learned something. Something stupid, yes, but something is better that nothing right? Maybe.

For about $6.50, you can buy a package of nothing. "For the person who has everything... the gift of nothing is yours to discover..."

The package goes on to read, "Congratulations! You have received the gift of nothing. Absolutely nothing. This is the ultimate in minimalism. Less is more, more or less. Nothing is precious. Nothing is simple. Nothing is sacred. Open the pack and be enthralled when nothing happens. Allow nothing to flow through your mind and calm your soul. Savour the moment. Soon you'll discover that nothing really is so much better than something."

So, I don't know. Did I learn something or nothing today?

1 comment:

Jojo a. said...

People do anything to grab some money. Well the brand new "Nothing 2007" may be the answer to my birthday gift questionings.

"Happy birthday dad. Guess what I got you? Nothing!"

Sounds sophisticated...