Tuesday, February 06, 2007

First Edition Identification. Maybe.

This last weekend I picked up an old book at an estate sale for 50 cents. (fiddy cent. go on, say it out loud) I think it's a first edition of Knock on Any Door by Willard Motley, which is selling on e-bay right now for $375.00. I've been hunting around the marvelous internet trying to find out if I too, can sell mine for some outrageous price, and here's what I learned today.

There's no clear, easy way to identify a first edition book without a specific, How to Identify a First Edition guidebook. I did learn the code for identifying what printing a book is, when it's marked. It goes a little something like this; the lowest number on the little row of numbers going across the copyright page tells you what printing it is.

Example:
"10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2" - This is a second printing.
"3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" - This would be a third printing.
"4 5 6 7 8 9 10 90 89 88 87 86" - This indicates a fourth printing in 1986.

Get it? Ok, so you already knew that. But I didn't.

7 comments:

madmax said...

How would a 10th edition identification code look like?

100 77 23 bla bla ?

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your expose on Gibson Guitar serial numbers, and if you're really brave, Fender.

Donna Piranha said...

Good question Max. Maybe the string would start with 20? I wonder what lucky bastard gets 10 printings anyway?

Donna Piranha said...

I don't think I'll be attempting that one James. I'd need a much stronger love for guitars to make time for that.
Hey wait! Why don't you do it?

Anonymous said...

Well, you can make extra cash money by selling off all thise antiques to cousin jenn and cousin jason so we can restore our sweet little home to the beauty it once was. You don't even have to bother with EBay! I'll give you the scoop on the plans to get this house back into shape. I have been watching too much Flip This House.

Donna Piranha said...

No prob Cuz. Tell me what you need, but don't think I'm cutting you any deals. :)

Anonymous said...

wonders if cuz jenn would like to buy the old dining room table... before i toss it to the street or burn it