Thursday, November 30, 2006

No More Junk Mail (or bad art)

My daily lesson today came from Daily Candy. They had some information about a company called Green Dimes, who will help stop your junk mail inundation, and plant some trees too.

100 million trees are chopped down every year for junk mail sent to American homes. 28 billion gallons of water are needed to make all the paper used for junk mail. Paper makes up a third of the 235 million tons of waste Americans send to landfills each year. The typical American household receives about 70 pounds of junk mail a year.

Do something about this! I'm going to become a "Sapling" member as soon as I'm done writing here. For a dime a day, just $36 bucks a year (or $3 a month if you prefer), Green Dimes will help get you removed from those damn mailing lists. Even if it stops half of what I get, it will be worth it.
Or you could just use your junk mail to create art like this picture here, but, WHY?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try going to Opt Out and opt out. It stopped me from getting a lot of junk mail. It's like signing up for the telephone calls too.

Donna Piranha said...

I already signed up!

Anonymous said...

I know that junk mail is a huge waste of resources but 100 million trees? I'm doubting that figure. Paper is the most recycled thing there is and with mandatory landfill waste reductions, all garbage companies go thru everything in the garbage, recycle can or not and separate everything. The irony here is the junk mail is the reason it still only costs 37 cents (or whatever.. see how often I mail a letter) to mail a letter. Bulk mail revenue is a huge part of the postal services budget, it's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.. no junk mail and mails a dollar per letter as everyone would use e-whatever for everything.

An interesting blog:

http://www.plastic.com/comments.html;sid=04/11/10/08513629;cid=5

Don't get me wrong.. I'm all for green practices and hate all the "Spend me now' checks I get each week but sometimes be careful what you wish for..

Anonymous said...

http://www.plastic.com/comments.html;
sid=04/11/10/08513629;cid=5

Donna Piranha said...

You've given me something to think about, Mr. JM Grasshopper. I'll check it out.

Donna Piranha said...

Yayy, I inspired someone! I hope you do it Max. I want to see something overwhelmingly cool out of you.

Donna Piranha said...

Well coach, a letter is an antique e-mail. You're probably too young to remember. :)

Donna Piranha said...

Ok James, I just thought of something you said about paper recycling. You are thinking about the lovely state of California only. Nobody else recycles like we do. Just ask my Nevadian sister what they do with their garbage.