Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Content Determines the Shape

Today I learned about:

A "functional" wine glass.
Supposedly the Riedel glass makers create "a true zest for life out of the versatile material of glass". As quoted from
the wine snob of wine snobs, Robert Parker (well Jr. anyway): "The finest glasses for both technical and hedonistic purposes are those made by Riedel. The effect of these glasses on fine wine is profound. I cannot emphasize enough what a difference they make."
I think I need to just copy and paste more about it. It's too perfect to re-write. I'm going to bold the places where I laugh.

"Professor Claus J. Riedel was the first designer to recognize that the bouquet, taste, balance and finish of wines are affected by the shape of the glass from which they are drunk. Working with experienced tasters, Riedel discovered that wine enjoyed from his glasses showed more depth and better balance than when served in other glasses. Before this, conventional stemware had used a single basic bowl shape, with only the size varying depending on use. A glass was born that turns a sip into a celebration – a wine’s best friend – fine-tuned to match the grape! "

I actually find this very interesting, and I even believe the guy has a point. It makes some kind of sense in my mind. Some day when I'm old enough to drink wine, I'm only going to use an authentic Riedel for my tasting pleasure.

I also learned today that I have an adductor magnus. I thought I pulled a vagina muscle, but now I know the real name of it. And it hurts. Ow.
But I still went to Asskickboxing anyway, and it feels a little better now. It's going to feel even better in an hour or so.... I hope.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does one go from wine glass to vagina muscle? Ponders how you were going to make it feel better in an hr.

Donna Piranha said...

Sheesh, going from wine glass to vagina is almost de rigueur in this town.
I have a hard (I said hard!) time believing you can't figure out the rest...

Anonymous said...

Well I am 100% that you pulled your "muscle" due to improper lifting of the WRONG wine glass. Sheesh,use the right utencil for the job would you?!?

Anonymous said...

and I never say "Sheesh" but it seemed fitting and then I come back here to read yer blah-g again and I see you already said "sheesh". Gawddamn, I need one of those stemless wine glasses full o'merlot.

Mommie Dearest said...

That down is a major Petton Place (omg you won't know what that is ).. I'm off to open a bottle of Merlot and see if I can drink the entire bottle before bed

Donna Piranha said...

Wine gives me a head ache.
(I said head!)

Anonymous said...

Head on, apply directly to the forehead, head on , apply directly to the forehead, head on, apply directly to the forehead.


beat that!

Donna Piranha said...

Have you tried that goo? (I said goo).