Sunday, October 01, 2006

Selective Service Indeed


Another day, another son, another birthday. Today my eldest turned 18. Yes, 18. My job is officially over. Officially, but not really. It will never be over.
Of the many new things my son has to consider now that he is "legal", one is registering for the Selective Service. I've been dreading this from the first moment I heard, "It's a boy!". I don't know why really. Maybe it's the fact that I gave life to something, with the hope and expectation that it will go on living, creating, and improving. The SSS pretty much means fighting, destroying and dying if he gets drafted. Please, spare the patriotic comments. I've heard it all before and my protective maternal instincts won't be swayed.

I didn't really pay attention to the issue back in high school, because it was a boy thing and what did I care? But today, I thought I'd learn about this nightmere creeping out of my closet. After reading just about every word of the website, I actually feel a bit better about it now.
Except for this one thing I learned, which kind of pisses me off.

Women are exempt from registering, because "the purpose of registration is to create a pool of potential inductees for combat" and it's the Department of Defense policy "not to assign women to positions involving close combat".

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I never had to worry about being drafted and expected to go kill people. But there is the Conscientious Objector backdoor, so why wouldn't that work for women who object to combat? Women have been kicking ass in the military for decades, in more ways than three, and this just feels to me like another little pat on the ass, get back in the kitchen little lady. Crap, I'm bitching about equal rights to be fucking drafted.

4 comments:

Donna Piranha said...

Can't we just fight boobies with boobies? Or better yet, let women run the world and we wouldn't need Selective Service.

Marcelo José Blanco said...

only two more years till my little brother is safe from induction... I've been sweating it out since 'dub got in.

pthbt.

Donna Piranha said...

I have to say I've been surprised that there hasn't been a draft in the last 6 years.
What is pthbt?

Marcelo José Blanco said...

pthbt is the "raspberry" sound: spelling stolen from Calvin & Hobbes: make same face as in your icon, then blow air out through mouth.