Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Almighty Dollar

The US dollar sign ( $ ) originates from a symbol pretty much like this image here, of a snake wrapped around a cross. The word dollar comes from a silver German coin called a Taler, which had this snake thing on one side.
Now, the story is that when the pissed off Israelites (oy vey, another blog about the Hebrews?) started bitching about god for making them homeless for so long, he/she/whatever got emo and sent them tons of snakes to shut them up. Lot's of people were bitten and some even died. But, after they apologized, god told Moses to put one of the snakes on a pole, and supposedly, anyone who looked at this snakey pole (wow, snakey pole) would be cured from their venomous bites.
Then a thousand or so years later, some German thought it would be cool to put the symbol on a coin.
And some time later, some American thought it would be cool to copy those trend setting Germans (like myself)(hahaha) and put it on our money, and steal the name while they were at it.
But, ever the shortcut artists we Americans can be, it was decided to just sorta draw a symbol of the symbol. Then someone forgot to actually put it on the dollar. Go look.

Ok, I have not been studying Israel or Jews or god, and I apologize that this is the second religious-y blog in a week, BUT, seriously, this is just coming up for me for some reason. Maybe it's a sign.

PS~ I've started collecting dollars, so if you have any you could send me, I won't send anymore snakes.

3 comments:

Marcelo José Blanco said...

"snake on a stick"... its the new corndog.

Donna Piranha said...

I think dollars are a good thing to collect. Much better than stamps or butterflies.

Donna Piranha said...

I Love it Mars! Let's start a franchise and put one in every mall with half naked girls selling them. Do you know what I mean?