Sunday, October 22, 2006

How to Identify a Bully

My ex-husband and I apparently don't speak the same language, so for the last 10 years I've been trying to learn to speak Dumb-Ass. But today, after another senseless argument, I realized it's actually Bully that he speaks, with a Dumb-Ass dialect. Here's how I know.

Behaviour of a serial bully:

  • Is emotionally retarded with an arrested level of emotional development; whilst language and intellect may appear to be that of an adult, the bully displays the emotional age of a five-year-old.
  • Is self-opinionated and displays arrogance, a superior sense of entitlement and sense of invulnerability and untouchability.
  • Shows a lack of joined-up thinking with conversation that doesn't flow and arguments that don't hold water.
  • Flits from topic to topic so that you come away feeling you've never had a proper conversation.
  • Refuses to be specific and never gives a straight answer.
  • Undermines and destroys anyone who the bully perceives to be an adversary, a potential threat, or who can see through the bully's mask.
  • Gains gratification from denying people what they are entitled to.
  • Is mean-spirited, officious, and often unbelievably petty.
  • Often misses the semantic meaning of language
  • Has a Jekyll and Hyde nature - is vile, vicious and vindictive in private, but innocent and charming in front of witnesses; no-one can believe this individual has a vindictive nature - only the current target of the serial bully's aggression sees both sides; whilst the Jekyll side is described as "charming" and convincing enough to deceive personnel and management, the Hyde side is frequently described as "evil"; Hyde is the real person, Jekyll is an act.
  • Exhibits unusual and inappropriate attitudes to sexual behaviour; underneath the charming exterior there are often hints of sex discrimination and sexual harassment, perhaps also sexual perversion, sexual violence or sexual abuse.
I read this today at BullyOnline.org
I found it very informative and helpful.

I suppose that by posting this, I'm speaking Bully almost as well as he does.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, when your little sister drags you by the arm away from the bully, trust your little sister.

Was there a picture of Jackass next to Bully cuz damn that fits like a glove. Oops, wrong bully, so don't acquit.

Oh, and yes, It's 4:46 AM, so I think I'm funny!

Donna Piranha said...

I should listen to someone who reads my blog at 4am? What were you doing up? Let me guess, your ricockulous smoke detectors?

Anonymous said...

The dog had to be tied up because of the wet cement in the backyard. He got himself stuck 3 times so I finally gave up going back to sleep at 4.