Monday, August 21, 2006

To Moissanite or Not to Moissanite


Part of our design meeting today was spent deciding whether we should use real diamonds in our jewelry or man made one's called Moissanite. In comparisons, not even our designer could tell which was the real thing. I have absolutely zero interest in diamonds except for it's use in technology. Did you know that a diamond could be used to make a computer so fast that it would "melt the innards of todays computers"? We could have cell phones in our watches. Our grandparents could have frictionless hip replacements. It's too bad they're being wasted in ugly engagement rings. They're quite rare I hear. Anyway, I'd never heard of this Moissanite, so Rebecca, gem girl that she is, enthusiastically explained it to me.

Fifty thousand years ago a meteorite crashed into the Arizona desert and scattered fragments of itself all over the place. Some guy (I'll let you guess his name) back in the 1890's started studying this space litter and realized that the shimmering garbage was almost identical to a diamond. A hundred or so years later in the "Synthetic is better" day and age, we now have a man made version called, "We're not using it".

Well, that's my version of what she told me, and that is what I learned today.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

*blush*
:P

Donna Piranha said...

I hope we don't have one of those last minute, crazy making, change-O-plans and decide to offer both! I feel autism coming on....

Donna Piranha said...

Wow, thanks for the brilliant advice. You're a genius.