Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Loveable Carshine Boys

There's no need to fear..I've been needing to wash my car for about a year now, so when I saw a group of kids doing a carwash in front of the library today, I made a mental note to come back after lunch. BUT, on the way back later, I saw another group of kids doing a carwash just up the block. Suddenly I had to decide which bunch of brats was going to get my money, so I quickly looked for pro's and con's of each group. It came down to two things- who looked like they'd do the best job, and where was the money going to go. Using one form of prejudice to decide the former and another kind for the latter, I rapidly made the important decision. I learned something about myself too, even if it only applies today.

I'm rooting for the underdog.

Usually I root for the one I think deserves to win, but lately I feel like a bit of an underdog and I certainly feel like I deserve to win. So, instead of the spoiled brat rich football kids taking my 10 bucks, it was the group of "at-risk" boys from a "residential treatment center" where they "turn hurt into hope." Yikes. If they don't deserve to win just due to that lame-ass statement, then I'll wash my damn car myself. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm the underdog kid in this family. Get outta my territory!

:-)

I tried to get a weekend at Moffit Field in San Fran, cross your fingers!

Call me today.