Sunday, May 06, 2007

Lethargy and Logos

Is this Frank White? I've been completely brain dead today. I think I might be getting sick or something because even though I've had twice as much tea today as I usually do plus 2 cups of coffee which I normally can't handle, my damn eyes won't stay open. I feel like total crap. Needless to say, I didn't really learn much today. Hey, that rhymes.
Last night before we got to the tattoo shop party, I was pretty tired and not feeling very social, so for the first half hour after we got there, I sat on the couch looking through tattoo books and stuff. One book was called, "Meet Mr. Product" and had every single logo character made for the last hundred years or something like that. It was pretty interesting, and I remembered things from my childhood that I'd totally forgotten. Like these Oscar Mayer weiner puppets I used to play with at my grandmas.

I can't believe I remember these!

I also learned the name of the character on the Cream of Wheat box. I know, not very interesting, but I didn't know it before so it's actually something I learned.

His name is Rastus.

I forgot how to spell it just now, so I went and looked it up. Then I learned who he was for real. Maybe.

It's thought that the Chicago waiter who made five bucks to dress like a chef and pose for the ad was named Frank White.

There's no absolute proof that this is true. An unmarked "colored" grave in Woodlawn Cemetary in Leslie, Michigan, inspired some woman to find out who he was, and somehow she came to the conclusion that this was guy on the box.

Check this out.

This is fucked up.
Can you believe that shit?

6 comments:

Lora Amore said...

did you see my attachment?

Anonymous said...

well, you can bet there was no chicom poisonous plastic in them there Cream of Wheat.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go watch Blazing Saddles..

Marcelo José Blanco said...

seems a little messed up to be real..

http://www.journalofantiques.com/Apr03/hearthapr03.htm

Donna Piranha said...

What attachment?

Donna Piranha said...

Yeah, it's hard to believe that is real. I was amazed when I learned the history of this Rastus character. We've come a long way. Well, sort of.

I LOVE Blazing Saddles James! Can I come over?