Friday, May 25, 2007

Just For Me

The inside of my car today.Lately it feels as if my alone-time cup time hath runneth completely dead and dry. I've been dreaming about giant bubbles that I crawl into and escape from the rest of the world. Today I was feeling a definite need to spoil myself, but I only had about an hour and a credit card that might work. So I took a chance and went down to the bookstore in search of a specific book, and luckily for me, they had exactly what I was looking for. Luckier still, my credit card didn't embarrass me.
I felt stupidly guilty buying myself a brand new book. A hardcover no less. Usually I prefer an old, used paperback for 50 cents from a secondhand store. I hate thinking about a book being read only once and by only one person. I love a book that's been around and seen some action. But the book I was craving wasn't available in paperback yet, and couldn't be found in the used section, so a brand new hardcover it was. Step one in spoiling myself.

Encouraged by the cooperative mood of my little plastic friend, I decided to blow my calorie watching and get one of those fucking awesome sandwiches at my favorite place. (Where were you Miss Lora? I called.) And just because I was feeling so, I don't know, Donna or something, I decided to try a new tea. I'm glad I did. It was perfect. Steps two and three accomplished.

When I got back to the office, I felt like there was still something else I needed, but I didn't quite know what it was. As I got out of my car and started walking towards the door, the vision of sitting at my desk with these new treasures suddenly felt like impending gross misconduct. So I turned around and went back to sit in my sunshine warmed, silver bullet momma van. Addendum step four, complete.

Now let me tell you what I learned about 4 minutes later.

An hour reading a brand new book, all ALONE in my car, while eating slightly warmed proscuitto and brie on Sonoma French bread, is almost as good as a few hours at the spa.

Actually, it might even be better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a really relaxing time. What book did you buy? Any good reading material suggestions for me? I'll have 2 weeks of peace and quiet for reading coming up and only have one book so far to take with me.

Anonymous said...

There is probably no need to tell you why I never got your call and missed you. :-(

Herman said...

I like the idea of spoiling yourself by buying books. Brilliant!