Thursday, September 28, 2006

Proper Goldfish Care


Well, today was the day I learned how to take care of a goldfish the right way, as opposed to the ole dump and forget method I practiced as a kid. I hope I learned it well. For my sons 4th birthday today, I decided to get him a pet, and since there's no way we're getting a dog, a fish seemed like a good idea. Hamsters just sleep all day and make noise all night, mice and rats stink, I hate to see a bird in a cage, and we already have 2 cats and a snake. Besides, I thought it was time he learned about death. Just kidding.
Meet Sara. I'd like to keep her alive as long as possible, so today I learned something from The Goldfish Sanctuary.

Keeping fish in a fish bowl is a bad thing to do. Supposedly you should get a tank, with a filter and a bubbler and crap. But if you're ignorant like me and bought a cute little bowl, you should make sure there's a lot of surface area at the top to allow more oxygen in.
Changing 1/3 of the water once a week is a really good thing to do because ammonia can build up and be dangerous, but make sure any water you add has sat out overnight. This is so the chlorine can evaporate and the water can reach room temperature.
Feeding a tiny bit several times a day is better than a bigger, once a day thing. Truthfully though, anything that eats even once a day in this house is pretty lucky, so we'll see about that.

"Ignorance of the goldfish's nature leads to more tragedies than can be believed."
I'll try to keep that in mind.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY you sweet little guy! Happy Birthday for all of us to you.

Anonymous said...

Can your gold fish make wishes come true? I have some... Happy birthday to your son.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Goldfish live long lives in your home. So I'm sure Sara will be old and much loved when she gets the big FLUSH!

Donna Piranha said...

Thanks you guys! I hope ours makes wishes come true. I'll test it out. Do yours make wishes come true?

Donna Piranha said...

Well, that lasted longer than I thought, but Sara was a floater this morning.