Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Peace Clause, Santa Claus and My Claws


I had a discussion today about the possible repeal of Article 9 in the Constitution of Japan. I didn't even know Japan had a Constitution, let alone know what Article 9 was. History was my favorite class for napping or writing love notes to my boyfriend(s).

So the first thing I learned today was:

Japan has a Constitution.

The second thing I learned was:

Article 9 is a section of this constitution also known as the "Peace Clause", which says that Japan renounces war and won't maintain any armed forces, or use force as a means of settling international disputes.

I also learned:

Japan has the 4th largest defense budget in the world.

From what I understand, Japan would like to be more of a modern country, or more "normal" as they say. They think this Article 9 is outdated and they would like to be able to defend themselves against North Korea and shit. Understandable.
I've spent the last few years thinking about how so much of what we all do and take for "normal" is outdated, like we're all still using Windows 95 or something.
Like marriage, coal mining, religion and Santa Claus.
These were all useful and good at some point in our history and development. They served a purpose for their time.
But really,
instead of marriage, can't we just go get a legal document with power of attorney for our loved one, regardless of sex? Same sex, no sex, one sex, three sex, who cares?
Why is there an abundance of free, clean sunshine that could run our computers and possibly our cars and so much more, yet people are being trapped and killed mining
non- renewable, air polluting coal?
Hasn't religion killed more good people than saved them?
What kind of a lesson is it to children to "be good" all year and Santa Claus will reward them with material possessions? (made in China no doubt). I hate the way we're all supposed to put on the holiday spirit and be more kind and generous to our neighbors for "the season". Fuck 'em the rest of the year, right?
Is there really a threat of Japan bombing Pearl Harbor again?

I think we should all be rethinking a lot of things we do on automatic. Closet cleaning is a very rewarding experience.
I also think every country should just put a "Peace Clause" into their constitution.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I thought all these years you LIKED Christmas. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Another reason you hate christmas I see.. and by the way, the Japanese have their own Army and Navy and they are armed. I saw that up front when I lived there...

Anonymous said...

Atheists have a good point there, most of the wars are because of religions but that doesn't deny any religion.

Donna Piranha said...

Ok Denise, you actually thought I liked Christmas after my "The Reason I Hate Christmas" story I wrote a while ago?
Yes mom, ironically Japan has the 4th largest defense budget so I figure they have some guns.
Thanks for the insight Max.