Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sunshine on my Heart

My true love.I got a terrible sunburn today, right over my heart, but I sort of like it. I'm going to wear it with pride, like a badge of honor for my beloved sun. Or maybe like a badge of stupidity for not knowing when enough is enough. Perhaps I'll wear it like a badge of infidelity, for betraying the security of the moon. My son thinks it looks just like a butterfly, so maybe it'll be a badge of metamorphosis. Or something.

Besides realizing today that the sun has awakened a poetic streak in me lately, I learned from my four year old the true definition of perfection.

per·fec·tion [per-fek-shuhn] –noun

1. sitting naked outside in the morning sunshine, in front of an easel, thoroughly immersed in the pleasures of spreading color on every inch of white paper with a paintbrush.

2. being a mother, sitting quietly and observing this beautiful scene.

3. eating Chunky Monkey and listening to your favorite music while writing and reliving the beautiful moment.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you that I was inspired by you to plant some sunflowers in the backyard for the kids?

Donna Piranha said...

I love hearing that I inspire people. Especially when it's something beautiful like planting sunflowers.
Did you do the sunflower house thing?
When they get to be about a foot tall, plant some morning glories next to them so they can climb.

Anonymous said...

I planted them in the shape of an E with enough space so that we can sit, or lay, between the rows and enjoy some privacy.

Much to my dismay, only 5 of the two packets of seeds have sprouted so far.