Saturday, June 23, 2007

Decadent and Depraved

By Ralph SteadmanI. Am. Completely. Fried.

Physically and mentally. What a day. I could only handle about 4 hours out at Infineon Raceway today, but not for the reasons I expected. I'm very surprised to say that being there was a completely thrilling experience, especially being down in the pit area. For the record, I am NOT a racing fan. But, as my informative and knowing companion today Mr. JMB pointed out, hanging out in the garages with the NASCAR drivers and their pit crews was like being backstage at a Led Zeppelin concert, and I couldn't help but get off on it a little bit. Ok, a lot. I loved it. I learned so much today that my head is spinning. But, since I'll be writing all about my experiences with NASCAR for the newspaper, I'm going to share my other newest favorite addiction I picked up today- the press room.

Ahhh, the press room. Or as they call it out at the former Sears Point Raceway, the media room. I couldn't wait to see it. I admit, the main reason I agreed to this adventure was hopes of experiencing something like chapter two of The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson. But sadly, or actually more likely luckily, they no longer serve alcohol to the media. Oh well. They had just about everything else though, just there for the taking. A huge refrigerator full of food and drinks, baskets of candy, trays of cookies and cheese cake, and Red Bull everywhere you turned. I had 2, so this might be a really long posting tonight. Oh, and let me never forget the beautifully catered lunch tent, exclusively for the media peeps. Sweet Gonzo, what did I do to deserve this juicy reward? Just hanging out in the company of the Associated Press, ESPN, TNT, and every major newspaper I've ever heard of, was excitement enough for me. I know, I'm completely weird. But I just love the press atmosphere and I felt so, I don't know, pleased or something to be a part of it all, even though I'll probably only get out 600 words to a weekly small town rag.
So I was happily enjoying the little room with the big windows, my mouth full of M&M's, when I peeked my head into an adjacent room and discovered something even more magical- the Deadline Room. The best thing I learned about today.

Posted outside the Deadline Room a seating assignment listing the names of major newspapers, television and radio stations, and more. Inside was a giant wall of window, lined with rows of laptop covered tables and chairs. Each workstation was equipped with individual electrical, phone and internet outlets. The Boardroom of the Non-conferring Gods. This is where those hard working, well fed, lucky people get to puke out what they see to the rest of the world, as fast as technologically possible.

Somehow I didn't know such a place existed, and I'm not exactly sure why I'm so enthralled with it. Today wasn't a big race day, but tomorrow... Tomorrow is the Superbowl of racing, and I can't wait to see that room in action.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your my sister, and I love you... But somedays I wonder how in the world we could be such polar opposites.

You crave to be in the lime light; I thrive in the shadows. You long for fame and fortune; I want just enough.

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't really know your sister very well.

This Statement: is the biggest crappy crap.
“You long for fame and fortune; I want just enough.”

Everything for her is about the excitement of being creative, being a part of something interesting, not being confined within the lines that society dictates and having a really fun time with the people around her. Donna does not like fame. Affirmation yes, not fame.

“we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams” Arthur O'Shaughnessy

You can be the puppet, the puppeteer or the child watching the show.

Her description of all of those things she saw had nothing to do with fame and fortune. It was about the gears of the machine and reporting what she found interesting in her funny spoiled brat way.

Everyone’s perception of “just enough” is pretty different. Think really hard about how many objects you own, and how necessary they are.

You can’t make a statement like that and not expect a response.
I’m sure you’ll get mad at me, just put me on the list with the many.

Anonymous said...

First, the "list" was a very low blow that I never thought you would take. Second, I am entitled to my opinion just as you are. My comment was not a dig to my sister. It is reality. We are extreme opposites. If Donna has a problem with something I said, then she can take that up with me. Noble of you to defend her, I get that, but wrong of you to stoop to such a low. You could have said just about anything to me, but the "list"? You knew where you were going with that and that hurts. I guess your true colors and opinion of me really came through with the comment you left.

Anonymous said...

Be sure and tune in next week for the next episode from "As the planet spins"

Anonymous said...

Wow.. a family flame right here in blog world..

Donna Piranha said...

Thanks for the comment killers you guys.