Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Karenga's Krazy Kwanzaa

I got an email today from Someone that listed The 7 Principles of Kwanzaa, and I realized that I all I know about the African celebration is that it happens in December and it's something like Christmas. I know a lot more now.

Today is the first of a 7 day, non-religious, African cultural celebration, started in 1966 by a paranoid schizophrenic Marxist, 14th son of a chicken farmer who gave himself the title Maulana, which means "master teacher", and who later got arrested for beating and torturing two women. He also started an organization called the United Slaves.

The 7 Principles are; Unity, Self determination, Collective work and responsibility (wtf?), Cooperative economics (again, wtf?), Purpose, Creativity, and Faith.
There are also 7 symbols, including 7 candles. What's with all the 7's?
The symbols are; food to represent a good harvest (remember, it's summer in Africa right now), a mat to represent the foundation from which history is built, a menorah-like candle holder which holds 1 black candle to represent the people, 3 red candles to represent the suffering, and 3 green candles to represent hope for the future, corn to represent children, (corn to represent children?), a grail (grael?) called the Unity Cup, and of course, gifts.

On December 31st, there is a big feast called Karamu where they serve Caribou. Just kidding. It just rhymes so I thought... nevermind. Anyway, that's as much as I need to know about Kwanzaa. Any questions?

I also learned that our former president and last member of the Warren Commission, Gerald Ford, died today on this first day of Kwanzaa. Hmm. Copy cat. But I think it might actually be cooler than the Funk Father croaking on Christmas.
Next?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding?? Kwanzaa isn't even 40 years old? I just figured it was another one of those things they didn't teach us in schools in the sixties like the indians were really the ones that got screwed, the food pyramid was paid for by the beef industry etc. You mean I'm older than Kwanzaa?? I'm getting tired....

Donna Piranha said...

I thought the exact same thing.
Older than Kwanzaa, we should coin the phrase. Sheesh, older than Kwanzaa. Good night cowboy.