Saturday, July 22, 2006

Bells Palsy

I learned several things yesterday, one being that it's going to be difficult to blog every single day. It's especially difficult to do when a lot of your old friends are back in town for the high school reunion. Thankfully that only happens every ten years, so after this weekend I'm in the clear. Well, for that excuse anyway.

Last night I learned from my elementary school girlfriend about something called Bells Palsy. I was telling her how heart broken I was when after almost 16 years I saw her again and she was seemingly unfriendly. I thought she wasn't interested in recounting our "Charlies Angels" days or laughing about how jealous I was of her pink Dittos. It really hurt my feelings. My old best friend blew me off. So last night at the pre-reunion "mixer", I gently confronted her about it. She explained that she was feeling extremely self conscience that day I saw her because she was suffering from partial facial paralysis. Apparently this temporary condition can strike anyone at any time and last from a few weeks to a few months. She had no warning signs, no pain or anything. She just woke up and couldn't move the left side of her face. I think she said hers lasted for several weeks, but she's completely over it now. I had no idea such a condition existed. I'm glad I know now, because if I woke up one day and couldn't laugh I'd probably start listening for trumpeting horns. Now I'm glad that you know what it is. For further information, click here.

No comments: